I have talked about willpower and self discipline before and how it can be deceptive in bringing about change in our lives. Think about how many times you were SERIOUS about the change you wanted to bring about only to falter a day later.
If you have ever beaten yourself up because you were just not self disciplined enough, then take heart. The truth is you were out numbered to begin with.
It was an unfair advantage from the start and you were on the short end of the stick. Here are a few reasons as to why sheer willpower alone often doesn’t bring about change.
3 Reasons Sheer Willpower and Self Discipline Often Doesn’t Work
1. Because we often lack a needed skill not more will power. For example, if you want to eat better, there is a skill that you need to learn. If you have never learned about nutrition, how can you expect to know how to eat properly? Instead of getting discouraged every time you fail, decide seek out a needed skill that you need to learn.
2. Because we are wired for the short-term. Another factor fighting us is that we by nature see only the short term. Scientist refer to this as “time sensitive demand.” The short term screams loud while the long term whispers to us.
We give in to the short term because of the immediate pleasure that is associated with it. Knowing this is the first step to conquering it. Will power doesn’t often work by itself because you are wired for the short term.
3. Because our environment has more power than we realize. On top of all the other negative factors battling against your will power, your environment isn’t helping either. You can want to eat all the healthy food that you want, but if the house is filled with unhealthy food, it isn’t happening.
The same can be said about the company we keep. The friends that you have shape your behavior and your habits. We often compare ourselves to others. As long as we are just a little bit better, everything is good in our world.
I hope you are beginning to see why will power alone is not your answer to change. You need more than that to make changes in your life.
- Why You’ll Never Have Enough Willpower to Lose Weight (prweb.com)
- 4 Reasons Why Your Habits Determine Your Future (simplelifehabits.com)
- What the Daily Discipline of Writing Does For Me (simplelifehabits.com)